It’s no secret that sleep and immunity go hand-in-hand. The extent to which they’re intertwined has never been more clear. And in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, maintaining a high functioning immune system has never been more important. Yet for some puzzling reason, a third of the population still reports getting insufficient shuteye.
It’s high time that we give sleep its proper due.
Make it a priority to stay healthy, and recommit to sleep using these tips!
- Establish a consistent bedtime At the end of the day, it’s all about circadian rhythm. And maintaining a sleep schedule is the best way to accomplish that.
- Make your bedroom a sanctuary Set yourself up for sleep success by creating a peaceful environment. Cooler temperatures, blackout curtains, comfortable pillows and soothing scents and sounds are among the constants you’ll need. Be sure to explore naturally-derived options like melatonin, magnesium and zinc as well.
- View food as fuel As a general rule of thumb, steer clear of empty calories and seek out nutrient-rich energizers. Thankfully, you may not have to break the bank on expensive superfoods. Leafy greens, high-fiber carbs (quinoa), fish, nuts, berries, Greek yogurt and fermented foods like kimchi all come highly recommended.
- Trust the process Simply put, getting extra Z’s over the weekend won’t erase your sleep deficit. Like anything worth striving for in life, there are no shortcuts. But you got this!
- Maintain balance Learning to transition between work and personal life is important. Maintaining a proper work-life balance will leave you feeling less anxious come bedtime.